ICT DAY 2014
As part of celebrating National ICT Day, Department of Information Technology (DoIT) and Computer Association of Nepal (CAN) on Friday conferred ICT Awards on two individuals and organizations for their contribution to the field of information communication technology (ICT).
ICT Business Excellence Award was awarded to Mr. Mahabir Pun. Similarly, the Best User in the Private Sector Award was awarded to the MiDas and the Best User in the Public Sector Award was awarded to the Financial Comptroller General Office.
Chief Guest, the Right Honorable Vice-President of Nepal, Mr. Paramananda Jha handed over the awards amid a function here on Friday. According to Bimal Kumar Sharma, founder president of CAN and the coordinator of the selection team, Janaki Technology and Professional Computer System were short listed as ICT Best Users in 2014.
ICT Business Excellence Award Winners
Mr. Mahabir Pun
Mahabir Pun is a Nepali teacher known for his extensive work in applying wireless technologies to develop remote areas of the Himalayas, also known as the Nepal Wireless Networking Project. He is a widely known figure in Nepal, and his work has been recognized by the Ashoka Foundation, the Ramon Magsaysay Foundation, University of Nebraska, and Global Ideas Bank.
- In 1996, he graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Science Education from Univerdity of Nebraska at Kearney.
- in 2001, he completed Master's Degree in Educational Administration.
- In 2002, Pun was elected Ashoka Fellow by the Ashoka Foundation, the global association of leading social entrepreneurs. The Foundation noted Pun's contribution to overcoming the geographical isolation of many of the communities in which he works, with a new idea which could be replicated in other geographically isolated areas with few educational or economic opportunities.
- In 2004, Pun received the Overall Social Innovations Award from the Global Ideas Bank, aka the Institute for Socila Inventions.
- In 2007, Pun was awarded the Magsaysay Award, considered by some to be the Nobal Prize of Asia, in recognition of "his innovative application of wireless computer technology in Nepal, bringing progress to remote mountain areas by connecting his village to the global village".Pun is one of four Nepalis to receive the Magsaysay Award, and the only one to receive the Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership.
- Later in 2007, the University of Nebraska awarded Pun an honorary degree as Doctors of Humane Letters for his outstanding work for his country, Nepal.
Best ICT user in public sector
Financial Comptroller General Office
Financial Comptroller General Office (FCGO) is the main government agency responsible for the treasury operation of Government of Nepal. This office is under the Ministry of Finance and is headed by Financial Comptroller General who is a special class officer of Government of Nepal .
FCGO is responsible for overseeing all government expenditure against budget, tracking revenue collection and other receipts and preparation of consolidated financial statements of the government. Its responsibility also includes ensuring maintenance of basic accounts keeping of the government through the accounting personnel and staff recruited and administered by it. Its functions also cover conducting of the internal audit of revenue and expenditure of the government. Other important responsibility of FCGO include ensure timely repayment of internal and external debts, investing in the loan and equity of public enterprises and maintaining the records related to these financial transactions. It also manages the distribution of pension to retired government employees and maintains necessary records thereof.
The organizational set up of FCGO consists of 4 divisions and 14 sections.The field level offices under FCGO are spread all over 75 districts of the country. In each district there is a District Treasury Controller Office (DTCO) which is involved in releasing budgets to government offices, budgetory controls and reporting that of. One Pension Office under the FCGO manages the distribution of pension of retired civil servants. Government Dues Recovery Office under the FCGO is responsible for the recovery of government dues.
Best ICT user in private sector
MiDas, Nepal based professionally managed company offering IT solutions to local as well as overseas clients.They offers IT solutions and services to those companies seeking to develop or install software applications to support their enterprise-wide or departmental business processes. Their services encompass Business Software Development, Educational Software Development, Web Development, Physician Billing and Practice Management Software Solutions, which are noted for their vastly superior efficiency resulting in optimum productivity by requiring the least number of keystrokes / mouse clicks.
With their extensive experience, vast range of products and services, they are able to offer their customers high quality, time bound, cost effective and a single-point solution for their needs at any point in their product development cycle through facilities in Kathmandu and Biratnagar.